Beautiful people. The time has come. It’s time to be you were designed to be.
I just watched Amy Cuddy’s inspiring TED talk about power through body language. Oh my gosh. I was undone by how easily we give away our power, without even knowing it. A random look or gesture, or minimizing words, can make us feel small. Choiceless. Voiceless.
I thought of all the times I have made myself smaller to maintain approval. And I thought of you.
- The vivacious college student, whose family works to “fight against homosexuality,” and he desperately wants to tell them he’s gay.
- The young woman God is restoring from mounds of childhood abuse, who can’t seem to find Christian friends who won’t tell her “just to get over it.”
- The teenager whose green hair and piercings draw stares at church.
- The loving couple who wonder how to tell their family that their son is transgender.
These are real issues that real people face. But God made these real people in his own image – and he delights in them.
Whatever your issues, God delights in you. Really! And he did not put you on earth to make yourself small. Own it. Be it! Let him help you delight in yourself… even if you have to fake it till you make it.
At age 14, Jacob is on the way to reclaiming his power. After he came out to his affirming parents, he shared these thoughts with them.
- Nothing caused this, mom.
- This is not your fault.
- God will look out for me.
- I’m not mad at the Church. I am me.
- I have known who I am for a long time but had to think it through.
- Ask me questions.
Please, watch the TED talk. Recover. Your. Power. It’s time.